Hero’s Journey Retreat
September 4 - September 7
The Hero’s Journey
For most of us, the ego is locked in a life-and-death struggle with the shadow. We’re continually pulled back and forth between the excitement of exploration on the one hand, and the fear of abandonment and rejection on the other.
Support your inner hero or heroine to undertake a courageous journey through the archetypes. The aim: not to destroy the shadow, but to integrate it with the ego – releasing a healthy, awakening, human being.
When you explore and meditate on archetypes, you provide a halfway house for your object addiction. In this way, the Hero’s Journey slowly reveals to you the essential nature of reality – the ground of being. These insights are only accessible through direct experience – also known as ‘pure perception.’
Heed the call of the Hero’s Journey and discover a healthier, strengthened self that is more fully integrated with the shadow.
Why The Hero’s Journey
The quest for shadow integration
September 4-7, 2020
What is the Hero’s Journey?
The Hero’s Journey is the courageous path the hero/heroine undertakes to assimilate ego and shadow. By tapping into inner, previously unknown gifts, one can triumph over lifelong challenges.
This popular retreat offers a powerful mythical journey experience. Accepting the challenge of the Hero’s Journey will leave you with a healthier, strengthened ego – one more fully integrated with the ‘shadow’ and thus accessing more energy and less susceptible to stress.
What is the Shadow?
Our shadow aspects are the unconscious patterns and views that affect our behavior, decisions and intentions to the extent that we’re not acting consciously for the benefit of ourselves or others.
For most of us, the ego is locked in a continual struggle with the shadow: it determines whether we like or dislike people, situations and things, without realizing why or being conscious of our responses.
In terms of lifetime patterns, we may undermine our relationships, block our growth, and limit our spiritual unfoldment – and thus our ability to benefit others.
It doesn’t have to be all bad news – we can choose to take a look at what’s really going on under the surface.
Once we commit to the challenge to release the energy locked in the shadow, imagine the fountain of energy that becomes available to us!
Embark on Your Hero’s Journey
In this retreat, support your inner hero or heroine to undertake a courageous journey through the archetypes. The aim: not to destroy the shadow, but to integrate it with the ego – releasing a healthy, or awakening, human being.
When you explore and meditate on archetypes in place of your habitual objects, you provide a halfway house for your object addiction. In this way, the Hero’s Journey slowly reveals to you the essential nature of reality – the ground of being. These insights are only accessible through direct experience – also known as ‘pure perception.’
What’s Expected of Me if I Come to This Retreat?
- An open mind and heart, and a spirit of adventure are excellent things to bring!
- It’s human to have some apprehensions about doing something new, meeting new people, or going to a new place. Particularly when all three happen together. We try to make this as supportive as possible.
- When exploring our growth edges, it’s natural to feel uncertain and awkward. And it’s very fruitful to transform that emotional tension into creative energy by drawing on your own inner resources – such as inquiry, going with the flow, and self-reflection, just a few of the many kinds of constructive engagement.
- To maximize your learning, we ask that you refrain from reading, using the internet or listening to music during the course. We make an exception for journaling, course assignments and group celebration.
- Lastly, our teaching operates based on the ancient tradition of dāna or generosity. Please learn more about this profound practice before you register.
Schedule and What to Expect
Over the weekend the schedule will consist of:
- Daily class with the teachers
- Individual and group meditations throughout the day.
- A traditional Buddhist empowerment and blessing ritual.
- Individual and group exercises throughout the day to explore and integrate your hero’s journey
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner provided by Mountain Waters Retreat.
Meet the Teachers
Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat are Dharma and meditation teachers who founded Clear Sky Meditation Centre, BC, Canada. Achariya Doug Duncan received lay ordination from Namgyal Rinpoche in 1978, and is a lineage holder in that teaching. Known for his direct, humourous and compassionate engagement with students, Doug embraces various traditions, contemporary psychology, and science, to mentor all beings to a more awakened state. Catherine Pawasarat has trained daily with Acariya Doug Duncan since 1998 in an intensive spiritual apprenticeship that is rare in the modern West. She received lay ordination from Namgyal Rinpoche in 2003. In addition to Buddhist philosophy and its applications to daily life, Catherine also draws on generative living and the arts. With Doug she is co-founder of Clear Sky Retreat Center in the BC Rockies.
What Do Previous Retreatants Say?
Fees and Dāna
This course is run based on the ancient principle of generosity, or Dāna. There are also fees for meals and accommodation at Mountain Waters, where the retreat is held. Click the registration button for those details: