Opening to the Clear Light of the Mind (Online)
August 21 - August 31
Opening to the Clear Light of the MindDzogchen Meditation Retreat|Online & UK Residential Retreat Options
August 21-31, 2021
Beneath the confusion and distraction of our minds, the Mind itself is empty, spontaneous and compassionate. The practice of Dzogchen helps us cut right through the confusion to this original, pure and luminous nature of Mind.
This retreat, with meditation masters Acharya Doug Duncan And Catherine Pawasarat Sensei, is for any meditator looking to go deeper to the essence of practice.
Opening to the Clear Light of the Mind
The Three Words that Strike the Vital Point is one of the principal teachings of the practice of Dzogchen, the Great Perfection. Patrul Rinpoche’s Special Teaching of the Wise and Glorious King, with commentary, is treasured as one of the most crucial instructions in the practice of Dzogchen. It’s pith teachings give simple yet deeply profound instructions on directly recognizing the mind’s innate purity and clarity.
In the confusion of our times, and the myriad of techniques and teachings we are surrounded with, the direct teachings of Dzogchen offer a refreshing clarity.
Opening to the Clear Light of the Mind
Dzogchen Meditation Retreat
Online and UK Retreat: August 21-31 2021
*Covid update: See Online & UK Retreat Options below*
“How wonderful! Nothing whatsoever, a glaring openness. An openness that is penetrating; a penetrating openness that is indescribable …
Direct recognition within yourself; that is the first vital point.”
— Patrul Rinpoche from The three words that strike the vital point, a root text expounding Garab Dorje’s teachings on Dzogchen – the Great Perfection.
Why Do a Retreat on Opening to the Clear Light of the Mind?
Relaxing the mind, dropping words, the practice leads us towards an experience of profound openness. From this place of clarity and origin, new perspectives can arise. We gain confidence founded on our own direct experience that wisdom and compassion are possible, and in fact an inherent part of our nature. Learning to rest more and more in this inherent nature of mind lets us bring this experience of openness into every moment, transforming how we live and act.
From daily life to Dzogchen can be a sudden step, so as well as the teachings of the Three Words, the Teachers will draw on another key text: the ‘Progressive Stages of Meditation on Emptiness’ a treatise by Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamsto Rinpoche, to help gain a deeper understanding.
Drawing on decades of personal practice and teaching experience, Acharya Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat Sensei will lead you with practical experiential exercises and humour, explore the nature of Mind beyond the surface confusions.
Covid 19 Retreat Modifications
A silver lining of Covid-19 travel restrictions is that this retreat will now be accessible to an international audience. With the teachers not travelling beyond BC, Canada this year, we are offering an online option for this retreat. For those who can join us at Maitreya House in the UK, there will be an in-person group retreat. Both options will have live streamed classes and meditations.
What’s Expected of Me if I Sign Up for This Retreat?
- An open mind and heart, and a spirit of adventure are excellent things to bring!
- It’s human to have some apprehensions about doing something new, meeting new people online, or going to a new place. Particularly when all three happen together. We try to make this as supportive as possible.
- When exploring our growth edges, it’s natural to feel uncertain and awkward. And it’s very fruitful to transform that emotional tension into creative energy by drawing on your own inner resources – such as inquiry, going with the flow, and self-reflection, just a few of the many kinds of constructive engagement.
- To maximize your retreat experience, we ask that you refrain from reading, using the internet, phone or listening to music during the course.
Basic requirements to do the retreat online:
· Block out the ten days and be focused on the retreat for this entire period, using this time and participating in the retreat as if you were at the retreat centre in person. This includes a rigorous, full, daily meditation schedule.
· Participate in all of the daily classes and group practices via online streaming.
· Set up a quiet space or location where you can focus on the Meditation Retreat, and not need to engage in conversation or work with others.
· Put away your phone, digital devices and other distractions.
· If there are enough people in the same time zone as you, you could also make a cohort to meet and do group practice throughout the retreat.
The Teachers, Dharma Europe and Clear Sky Retreat centre from which classes will be streamed, all operate based on the ancient tradition of dāna or generosity. Please learn more about this profound practice before you register.
UK Residential Retreat – Attending in person at Maitreya House
· Maitreya House is a beautiful retreat centre located in the golden valley, a remote part of Herefordshire, near the Welsh border in the United Kingdom.
· Learn more about the retreat location: Maitreya House.
· There will be appropriate Covid 19 protocols followed on this retreat – with numbers limited to 12 people at Maitreya House.
· The retreat is hosted by Dharma Europe.
· Our teachings, Dharma Europe and Maitreya House operate based on the ancient tradition of dāna or generosity. Please learn more about this profound practice before you register.
For UK and general inquiries contact Jonathan Clifford,
[email protected] 07891 621865.
Meet the Teachers
Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat are Dharma and meditation teachers who founded Clear Sky Meditation Centre, BC, Canada. Achariya Doug Duncan received lay ordination from Namgyal Rinpoche in 1978, and is a lineage holder in that teaching. Known for his direct, humourous and compassionate engagement with students, Doug embraces various traditions, contemporary psychology, and science, to mentor all beings to a more awakened state. Catherine Pawasarat has trained daily with Acariya Doug Duncan since 1998 in an intensive spiritual apprenticeship that is rare in the modern West. She received lay ordination from Namgyal Rinpoche in 2003. In addition to Buddhist philosophy and its applications to daily life, Catherine also draws on generative living and the arts.
What Do Previous Retreatants Say?
World class teachings from world class people! Doug and Catherine Sensei are the real deal and they ultimately want one thing for you – to guide you toward awakening with totality and intelligence. Planet Dharma’s steadfast, professional commitment to meet the needs of seekers today is impressive. What a precious gift to have access to these wisdom teachings and practices from anywhere in the world; Live online and in connection with others as well as on-demand courses and podcasts. Clear Sky in-person immersions set in a pristine landscape offer the opportunity to come back to center while having the support of an established compassionate sangha to help deepen the experience. So grateful for having met this community!
Ancient teaching that I feel is important to understand if someone was serious about meditation practice. I appreciate the teachers, Doug Duncan and Catherine Pawasarat, unrelenting perseverance to teach about the roots and traditions of these rich practices. These practices are life changing, so it is great that we can have teachers that will explore the rich history with us, and deliver the material in a very understandable and relevant way.
I recommend these down to earth teachers bringing dharma to the planet. It’s great that classes can be watched in person, virtually, or within a week depending on one`s schedule. Increase the awareness, compassion, wisdom, strength, and joy in your life!
Fees and Dāna
This course is run based on the ancient principle of generosity, or Dāna, as well as an administration fee.
- Online Retreatant Admin Fee: CA$250
- UK (Residential) Admin Fee CA$250 (Approx £150) plus
- UK Residential Fees £550 (Inc. Admin, accommodation, food)
- Teachers receive no income from these administration fees. They offer their teaching on the basis of generosity, or Dāna, which you will have an opportunity to give when you register.
Please register here via this online form, and we will send you further pricing and registration details for the retreat: